A 17-year-old Tennessee teen and others have been infected with hookworms. Michael Dumas from Memphis was on a mission trip with friends to South Florida when they visited the Pompano Beach. Him and his friends were having a great time, Dumas got buried in the sand by his friends on June 20.*WARNING PHOTOS CONTAINING GRAPHIC CONTENT*
Just days later Michael began to see bumps under the skin on his thighs and legs and was experiencing bad ear aches as well. When checked by Doctors it was evident that he was suffering from a severe case of hookworms.
Six out of 17 people traveling with Dumas were infected with hookworms, with one being diagnosed July 23. According to the CDC, hookworm larva penetrate the skin of humans, and infections are usually transmitted by walking barefoot on contaminated soil. The teen has reportedly been left home-bound by the infection and needs to soak in bleach water every day.
Kelli’s Facebook post has been shared over 9,000 times, with over 2,ooo likes. She warns parents not to allow their children to be buried in sand at the beach.”The Health Department in Pompano Beach said “Everyone knows to wear shoes on the beach because you can get parasites.” I assured them everyone does NOT KNOW THAT!!,” she wrote in her post. She also encourages others to share her post and warn others.