Weight loss apps are applications on your smartphone that have weight loss programs downloadable to Android and Apple devices. These apps provide an easy and quick way to track your food intake and exercise output. Different diet apps have unique features that enable you to track your weight loss journey helping you achieve your weight loss goal. The benefits of using the apps are numerous and with the support provided and awareness of your habits and progress, it’s possible to stay on track. Here are the top 3 weight loss apps for 2021.
The Weight Watchers WW app has features that include a food-tracking database, more than 9,000 healthy recipes and a barcode scanner that can be used at the grocery store. It uses a point system with less emphasis on calories and therefore, no food is off-limits. It’s more about what foods you’re eating.
You first have to take a personal assessment before you are matched with a food plan of different food choices based on your preferences. Apart from tracking your points and foods that you eat, you can also track your sleep, water intake, and daily activity.
It also provides access to a diet coach and a community of members whom you can connect with to offer advice and encouragement through your weight loss journey. Once you meet your target you can get rewards like water bottles and wireless earbuds to motivate you to live a healthier lifestyle. Interaction with people on a similar journey not only builds a community with like-minded people but also provides a sense of support for dieters.
With a social media-like feature integrated into it, those on a weight loss journey can share their tips, challenges, and pictures. Plan subscriptions are available starting at $5.07 a week or $15/mo.
- Familiar foods and diet plans
- A barcode scanner that you can use at the grocery store
- A database of more than 9,000 recommended recipes and access to workshops and coaching sessions.
- Available on: iOS and Android
- You can either get access to the WW app when you are a member or after purchasing a digital-only membership. But, even with access to the entire app’s features, you can’t attend workshops and coaching sessions if you are a digital-only user.
- Sometimes the app takes a while to log food
Lose It! Is a weight-loss app that tracks your favorite foods and focuses on calorie counting and weight tracking. It analyses your weight, age, and health goals and generates your daily calorie needs for the creation of a personalized weight loss plan. With a straightforward plan, you can log your food intake and check out a large database of over 33 million foods. It also includes restaurant items, and brands and a barcode scanner to add extra foods to your log.
The app gives you daily and weekly reports of your calorie intake and when using it to track your weight, it displays a graph showing weight changes. Different from many other weight loss apps Lose It! Includes a Snap It feature that allows you to capture pictures of your meals to help track your food intake and portion sizes.
It also has a community where you can share information and your challenges with other users. You can download the app free of charge but to access premium features you’ll need to pay $9.99, or sign up for a year at the cost of $39.99.
- Comprises a team of experts that check your nutrition information for better food recommendations.
- Can be integrated with other weight loss and fitness apps.
Don’t track vitamins and minerals that you consume.
My Fitness Pal
MyFitnessPal allows you to take a look at what you eat and at the same time stay fit. It has a database of more than 11 million different foods that you can choose from. It also has a barcode scanner where you can add other foods onto your food log with a recipe importer for home-cooked meals to help monitor your current eating habits.
Due to the strength workouts in the app, this allows you to come up with an exercise routine for the best results making MyFitnessPal both a diet as well as an exercise coach. The app also integrates with other health apps to help track steps and workout routines. The app has a large community of users that provide support, advice, and encouragement. It offers a premium membership of $10 a month and an annual membership of $50 for those who want the full suite of features.
- Different types of cardio and strength workouts to choose from.
- A large database with 11 million different foods.
- A barcode scanner for use and a recipe importer that gives you info on homemade meals.
- The monthly and annual membership can be costly for some people but you can still have access to plenty of free features.
With so many apps, it can be a bit overwhelming. It’s best to try out several to see which one works best for you.